Monday, August 27, 2012

Nuevo Vida

It is amazing to me how different and similar two places can be. For example, in Marbella, the weather is very similar to Pleasanton, but there is no air-conditioning. Seeing things I recognize often remind me of home, which can be both a comfort and a sad reminder of what I have left behind. Whenever that happens, I try to focus on all the amazing new things around me. One of my favorite things so far is the incredible colors all over Marbella; the center of the old town, especially, is full of color -- brightly painted buildings, clothes, foods, and plants are everywhere!

Yesterday I went to the beach for the first time - my host mom, dad, grandma, and great aunt and I spent hours sitting on the beach, in the water (which is much colder than I expected, apparently it gets much warmer around September), and walking up and down the shore. When we came back home we watched a movie - it was originally filmed in German but was over-voiced in Spanish. I had a hard time following the story and ended up falling asleep half way through.

According to my host dad, families in Marbella traditionally spend Sunday at the beach and then go home and cook Paella together, which is exactly what my host family did! Paella is delicious - I was surprised that one of the ingredients is yellow food coloring (traditionally used saffron), it adds no flavor but is an important part of the dish.

Today I was much more quiet than usual - I didn't sleep much last night because of jetlag and therefore don't really have the energy to attempt spanish conversation. My host parents tend to speak to me in English more than I expected - sometimes it is frustrating when they speak only in English. I find it most helpful when they talk slowly in spanish, then I can ask them to explain in english the words I don't know (I haven't quite figured out how to explain this to them).

I'm beginning to settle into my life here, but can't help but miss life in California (especially when its very hot with no air conditioning!) I miss everyone at home very much!!!

Love from Marbella,
Shona

4 comments:

  1. Shona!!! Sooo happy to be able to read your awesome blog!
    Vi las fotos de tu casa con tu mama. Que afortunada eres!!! Disfruta cada segundo, creo que dentro de poco vas a escribir igual de hermoso en espanol.
    Un beso grande

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shona--great to hear from you! You seem to be off to a really great start. I told Abuela Lilat she should write to your host mother that feeding 15 to 25 year old boys and girls is completely different. Boys eat incredible amounts; girls much less. Annette has to "reset" her shopping plans and quantities when we shift from one to the other. And back.

    Our current language student, Lara, comes from a city north of Madrid, about halfway to the north coast (I don't remember the name.) She'll be reading your blog and would like to meet you when she returns to Spain. Don't exactly know when you'll have time. . . .Love, Abuelo Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your blog, Shona! Your host family sounds wonderful and all the colors sound gorgeous! I'm sure it's hard being away, especially in the beginning. You are so brave and adventurous - much more than I ever thought to be at 16! Enjoy this amazing adventure. Can't wait to read more!
    Love,
    Janeen Brumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your coke can, near Funny Beach!

    ReplyDelete