Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fitting In

I'm finally settling into life in Marbella; staying up late and waking up late, eating a big lunch and smaller dinner, going out with friends until after dark... it's starting to get easier to feel at home here.

I was warned that it can take months to meet and make friends, but I am lucky in that I have already found some people who I think I can call friends. The people in Spain are mostly very nice, and they welcome me into their lives without a second thought. Spending so much time listening and conversing in Spanish has helped my speaking skills very much. I know so much more Spanish now than I did when I stepped onto the plane -- it is amazing how quickly you can learn when you are immersed in the language. That is no to say that I speak Spanish very well, but I understand quite a bit and can say enough to get my thoughts across (most of the time). Also, English is a mandatory class in Spain's public high schools, so all the teenagers know at least a little English. I find it much easier to try out my Spanish when I am around friends, rather than my host parents. My host parents switch right to English whenever they don't understand what I am trying to say in Spanish, and expect me to do the same. My friends are more helpful with the Spanish and patiently wait for me to figure out what I am trying to say. Also, they will correct me if my Spanish is wrong, unlike my host parents who just go along with what I am saying, or they switch to English.

Today I was invited to my host Rotary club's lunch meeting, which takes place every Wednesday at 2:00 PM in a very nice restaurant. The food - salad, salmon and mashed potatoes, and cream puffs -- was excellent and the people are very friendly. I am lucky, I think, to have a good host club!

I can feel my English skills rapidly disappearing. For some reason that I cannot explain I add an accent and am less grammatically correct when I speak in English to the people here. Hopefully my writing is still okay (?) haha.

I hope this blog is living up to expectations -- if there is anything that anyone is curious about, comment, send me a message on facebook or email, or ask my parents to mention it to me -- I would be happy to answer anyone's questions!

Love from Marbella,
Shona

8 comments:

  1. Also, I feel like I should clarify for all the parents out there worrying about me: none of the friends I have made smoke or drink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shona,
      you are so sweet and considerate to think about "us" parents! So happy for you that you've made some good friends already! I love reading your blog, you write so beautifully. You paint a picture with your words and I can see Marabella! Stay safe honey, and keep living in the moment...
      Mrs. Spivey

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the post Shona. Can you describe the Rotary Club, young, old, how many, men/women etc. is it formal or informal, compared to PNR?

    thx

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rotary club has about 40 members, but only about 20 come to lunch every week. They are mostly age 50 and up (I think) with even number women and men. The club is very informal (the women wear summer dresses and the men wear shorts/pants and polo/button down shirts), and they often ring a bell to quiet everyone down (it gets really loud with laughter and chatting). There are people of all different nationalities. The people sitting next to me spoke German, others Spanish, others English, and others French. There are people from all over the world - Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Britain, France, Germany, etc. etc. Most of the people speak English as well as their native tongue. Does that answer your question?

      Delete
  3. Shona, I may be biased but this is a great blog :)

    You do a terrific job of opening up about the challenges of arriving in a new home and a new culture, and as a person, a parent and YOUR parent it is really wonderful to watch it all unfolding through your eyes.

    Please keep it up, and take a few minutes to learn how to add pictures and a gadget for an RSS feed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure what an RSS feed is... and I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos -- help! :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Shona it's Ryan Hobbs. Shona this is an amazing experience and I am so glad that your dream of adventure came true. And folowing your blog makes me feel like I'm there too. Shona the best of wishes from the entire Hobbs family. Your awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shona--great to hear about all your experiences. Your English looks fine to me. It's very expressive and descriptive, and like some of the other commenters, it almost feels like I'm there. Keep it up!

    Love,

    Abuelo Mac

    ReplyDelete