Friday, March 22, 2013

Thanks, Mom

People are always asking me what food I've missed the most while being on exchange. Many of them seem to expect a "typical American meal" such as hamburgers, ribs, steak, fast-food, or turkey&mashed potatoes to be my answer. I've never been able to think of one food I missed in particular until this morning. I stood around the kitchen, hungry but without appetite. As I spotted a pile of bananas on the table, I went to grab bread, peanut butter (which I've kept in good stock over my exchange, thank goodness) and honey from the pantry cupboard. Slicing the bananas, then lathering on the peanut butter and drizzling on the honey, I felt a surge of homesickness. Not for this incredibly simple food: a peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich, but for my mom. I stood there, eating, remembering all the mornings during my childhood (and teen-hood haha) where she'd made me a sandwich because she knew I was running late. From soccer games to early morning karate workshops, to sleepovers and birthday parties, even SAT and ACT practice tests; my mom was always there, looking out for me. She'd hand me the sandwich, wrapped in a napkin, and I'd barely say thank you as I grabbed it and ran out the door. So as an answer to everyone's question, the food I miss the most is anything my mom made for me, anything that she did just because she loved me and wanted me to be able to go out and do anything. Basically what I'm trying to say is: thank you mom, for everything; especially the sandwiches. I love you, and miss you <3 xoxo Shonabell

2 comments:

  1. Thank you ShonaBell. I feel proud of you every moment of every day...mostly because you've grown up to be so independent: courageous, curious and so very capable. Life is an awfully big adventure, especially for a mom (and dad) sending their daughter out into the world. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mom to a student currently on exchange in Spain, this brought tears to my eyes - my daughter isn't one to say thank you....I love you...I miss you.... I'm sure your mom appreciates this far more than you know.

    ReplyDelete