Sunday, February 10, 2013

Change

Looking over to see Cj on my right, Vanessa on my left, and Christine fidgeting with her blankets on the couch al lado, I can't help but smile as I think of how far we'd come. It seems like just yesterday we were on our train ride to Madrid, nervous and giddy and newbie exchange students tend to be. Like on that train ride, my feet are tucked up neatly, though I'm considering stretching them out (and used Cj's long legs as a footrest, as per usual). Vanessa is chattering on with Christine, reading my iphone messages aloud (oh, joy) and laughing her wonderful laugh. She's come so far since we first met; out of all of us, I see her as the one exchange has changed most dramatically. Her determination, bravery, and ability to find the positive in any situation have made her such an amazing friend, and one I cannot believe I've lived sixteen years without. Then there's Christine, the not-so-quiet super-smart girl from Iowa/California/NewYork/EVERYWHERE who constantly proves that multitasking is indeed possible if you've got the right attitude. I don't know where she finds the time to do all that she does and still be such a large presence in the lives of the people around her. And Cj, good old sturdy Cj, has made it through the ups and downs of these past six months and is still his goofy self (with a little bit of Spanish vocab mixed in). He's always up for whatever adventure and is a good listener whenever you have a story to tell. Oh, and he has finally begun to smile in all my photos. Charissa, whom we miss dearly, checks in from up north every once in a while. Each of us has been changed by our exchange year, but all in incredibly different ways. Still, our gains and losses have brought us ever closer; these next few months are sure to fly by. And in the end, we'll be left with all our memories and, of course, each other. Love you guys <3

Love from Marbella,
Shonabell

No comments:

Post a Comment